It is finally here. The AT&T-backed streaming service, DIRECTV NOW, is available to consumers. Details were released slowly, but it turns out they were worth the wait. DIRECTV NOW is live and available to anyone across the country. Joining the world of services perfect for cord cutters, DIRECTV NOW will directly compete with services like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue. And, without all the hassle that comes from cable or satellite services, the DIRECTV NOW option is more affordable for those who want to cut the cord.
DIRECTV NOW is fully launched and available nationwide. However, there will surely be more information released over the coming months while new features are being made available. Streaming Observer has had an opportunity to create this DIRECTV NOW review to help you in your purchase decision.
Keep reading our DIRECTV NOW review to learn everything we know so far, from the DIRECTV NOW channels available to the cost, players, and features. And, as always, you can start now with a FREE 7-day trial of DIRECTV NOW.
What is DIRECTV NOW?
Ultimately, DIRECTV NOW is a streaming television service designed to compete with Sling TV and PlayStation Vue. The DIRECTV NOW cost starts at $35 per month for their basic package, including over 60 channels. There are various other DIRECTV NOW packages available, ranging up to 120+ channels! And while it is slightly more expensive than its streaming competitors, it is significantly more affordable than cable. Remember, you can try DIRECTV NOW free for 7 days to test out the service, so click here to try it now.
What is the DIRECTV NOW Channels List?
Now that DIRECTV NOW is fully launched, we have more information about the DIRECTV NOW channel lineup and the different packages available. The complete DIRECTV NOW channel list is available below.
We are currently looking at 4 different channel packages, making the DIRECTV NOW price range from $35 to $70 a month. These packages are:
- Live a Little ($35/month, 60+ channels)– Channels list includes DIRECTV NOW local channels in select markets as well as A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, Audience, AXS TV, BBC America, BET, Bloomberg TV, Bravo, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, CSPAN, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network, Fox Business, Fox News, Fox Sports 1, Freeform, FX, FXX, Galavision, Hallmark, HGTV, History, HLN, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, National Geographic, Nick Jr., Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, RFD TV, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TCM, Teen Knick, Telemundo, The Weather Channel, TLC, TNT, truTV, TV Land, Univision, USA Network, Velocity HD, VH1, Viceland, WE tv, and WeatherNation.
- Just Right ($50/month, 80+ channels)–Also includes all channels in lower package plus regional sports networks in select markets, plus you get BTN, CNBC World, Comedy.TV, Cooking Channel, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Fox Sports Prime Ticket, Fuse, Fusion, GSN, IFC, JusticeCentral.TV, LMN, Longhorn Network, MLB Network, NBC Sports Network, OWN, Oxygen, Science, SEC Network, Travel Channel, and Univision Mas.
- Go Big ($60/month; 100+ channels)–Includes every channel listed in the lower packages along with American Heroes, BBC World News, Centric, Destination America, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, DIY, Fox Sports 2, FXM, FYI, Golf Channel, LOGO, MTV Classic, Nat Geo Wild, NBA TV, NHL Network, Revolt, Sprout, Sundance TV, Tennis Channel, TVG
- Gotta Have It ($70/month, 120+ channels)–Contains all channels in lower packages as well as Boomerang, Chiller, Cloo, El Rey, Starz Encore (8 channels), Univision Deportes, and more.
- Add HBO and Cinemax to any package for just $5/month each.
As you can see, the DIRECTV NOW channel lineup is very customizable depending on your needs and wants. For many, the basic package will be sufficient, but for those that want more selection, there is some excellent value to be had in the larger DIRECTV NOW packages. Also, note that ALL of the DIRECTV NOW packages offer a free 7-day trial, so you can test any of them out for free.
Can I get DIRECTV NOW Local Channels?
Cord cutters who are aware of the current systems on the market definitely have questions about live, local channels. Most of DIRECTV NOW channels can be streamed nationwide, there are just a few on the DIRECTV NOW channels list that are only available in limited viewing areas.
- FOX – FOX is available live in select markets, mostly in bigger cities.
- FOX next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide
- NBC – NBC is available in select markets, mostly in bigger cities
- NBC next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide
- ABC – ABC is available in select markets, mostly in bigger cities
- ABC next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide.
The DIRECTV NOW channels list doesn’t provide complete details about which cities where these networks are available, but you can always start out by checking out the network availability with DIRECTV NOW.
How Much Does DIRECTV NOW Cost?
The pricing for the basic package with DIRECTV NOW starts at $35 per month. This is slightly more expensive than their competition, but not by much. The base package includes over 60 networks, and users can add on other packages on top of it, including premium channels. This is similar to Sling TV’s genre-specific add-on packages, which is a great way for users to customize their service to their own interests.
You can also check out other DIRECTV NOW deals for new subscribers. For instance, sign up for 1 month of service and get a free Amazon Fire TV Stick. Or, sign up for 3 months and get a free Apple TV. To take advantage of these deals, simply follow the relevant link and begin the signup process. During the registration process, you’ll be asked if you’d like to get a free device.
You can start with a FREE 7-day trial of DIRECTV NOW to see for yourself.
How Can You Watch DIRECTV NOW At Home or On the Go?
DIRECTV NOW is still rolling out features, and we know that is available on many streaming and mobile devices. We are expecting new additions as they service matures. But for right now, DIRECTV NOW can be streamed on:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Google-cast enabled LeEco TVs
- Vizio SmarrtCast displays
- iOS devices (iPhone/iPad)
- Android devices (phones/tablets)
- Web browsers
It’s pretty noticeable to cord cutters that the popular Roku is not on this list. The company has indicated they are hoping to have DIRECTV NOW Roku support by early 2017. There may be other DIRECTV NOW devices added in the future as well. Note that you can stream on up to two devices at once.
DIRECTV NOW Review: Key Features
As you imagine, most service reviews like to recap some of the special features the product offers. This DIRECTV NOW review is no different. Here are some special things you might want to know about.
3-day catchup – Many of the channels, but unfortunately not all of them, will have a 72-hour window to catch up on shows you’ve missed. This way you can go back and watch new shows within 3 days of airing.
2 concurrent streams – You can watch up to two concurrent streams. If you have more than two people vying for TV time, you may want to consider more than one account. Otherwise, share away.
Easy transition from cable – DIRECTV NOW provides an easy transition from cable or satellite. The DIRECTV NOW channels list is present in grid format, much like traditional television. So, for new cord-cutters, the switch should be an easy one.
No data usage – AT&T mobile users won’t be charged for data they use to watch DIRECTV NOW. Note that this is only for AT&T subscribers, as users with other cell providers will still be charged for data usage.
No DVR currently – There is not currently an option for a cloud-based DVR, but the service plans on adding that feature sometime in the next year. We’ll let you know if a DIRECTV NOW DVR feature is added.
No DIRECTV NOW gift card currently – For those looking to gift DIRECTV NOW to a friend or family member, unfortunately there are not currently any DIRECTV NOW gift cards.
Is There a DIRECTV NOW Free Trial?
Yes, there is! Now that you’ve read our complete DIRECTV NOW review, all that is left is to try it out for a FREE 7-day trial today! And remember, since DIRECTV NOW is contract-free, you can take advantage of the DIRECTV NOW free trial and be free to cancel at any time – no commitment required.
Latest posts by Laura LaVoie (see all)
- How to Watch Catfish The TV Show Online without Cable - February 22, 2017
- How to Watch Bringing Up Ballers Online without Cable - February 22, 2017
- How to Watch The Americans Online without Cable - February 21, 2017