The way people watch TV is changing rapidly. Many streaming services are popping up to give users an alternative to cable TV providers. AT&T TV NOW (formerly DIRECTV NOW) is one such cable TV alternative from AT&T. We put together a AT&T TV NOW review to explain more about this popular streaming service.
AT&T TV NOW is fully launched and available nationwide. It’s continually evolving and expanding as the service grows, with new channels being added regularly. Streaming Observer has had an opportunity to create this AT&T TV NOW review to help you in your purchase decision.
Keep reading our AT&T TV NOW review to learn everything you need to know about the service, from the AT&T TV NOW channel lineup to the cost, devices, and features. And, as always, know that you can start now with a FREE 7-day trial of AT&T TV NOW.
What is AT&T TV NOW?
Note: This service used to be called DIRECTV NOW, but has since been rebranded to AT&T TV NOW.
AT&T TV NOW is a streaming television service designed to provide an alternative to cable TV. The AT&T TV NOW cost starts at $50 per month for their basic package, including over 45 channels + HBO. Compared to similar services, AT&T TV NOW pricing is a bit higher than average, but still quite reasonable – and compared to cable, it’s a huge bargain.
There are various other AT&T TV NOW packages available, ranging up to 125+ channels! It’s contract free – which means you can cancel at any time.
Here are the basics of this service:
- An online streaming platform for live TV
- Plans from $50 per month
- Watch live programming from 45+ channels, including ESPN, FOX News, TNT and more
- HBO included
- Get up to 125+ channels in larger packages
- Watch live over the internet, on all your favorite devices
- Use on streaming players, computers, smartphones and more
- Cancel any time
- Watch from anywhere with an internet connection
- FREE 7-day trial available
Of all the best streaming services, AT&T TV NOW offers one of the most extensive channel selections. With a whopping 125+ channels in total, there aren’t many networks that are not covered by this service. With that said, the bigger packages from AT&T TV NOW are very expensive, so they may not present the best value for many people. The base packages are more affordably priced, but don’t have as much selection.
It’s easy to sign up for, and easy to use. You can easily be watching live TV within 5 minutes of signing up!
AT&T TV NOW Review: Key Features
What is AT&T TV NOW offering in terms of features? Here’s a rundown:
3-day catchup – Many of the channels, but unfortunately not all of them, will have a 72-hour window to catch up on shows you’ve missed. This way you can go back and watch new shows within 3 days of airing.
No contract – You will never be locked in to more than one month at a time, and it’s very easy to cancel AT&T TV NOW if you decide to do so.
2 concurrent streams – You can watch up to two concurrent streams. That means that you can watch ESPN in the bedroom while your kids watch cartoons in the living room – at the same time. If you have more than two people vying for TV time, you can add a third stream for $5/mo.
Cloud DVR – You can now record live TV with AT&T TV NOW, thanks to the recently added cloud DVR feature. The nice thing is this DVR is built into the service itself – you don’t need a separate physical device. You can record most channels (but not all), and store up to 20 hours at a time. Recordings expire after 30 days.
Easy transition from cable – AT&T TV NOW provides an easy transition from cable or satellite. The AT&T TV NOW channels lineup is present in a grid format, much like traditional television. So, for new cord-cutters, the switch should be an easy one.
No AT&T TV NOW gift card currently – For those looking to gift AT&T TV NOW to a friend or family member, unfortunately, there are not currently any AT&T TV NOW gift cards.
What is the AT&T TV NOW Channels Lineup?
Below, find information on the AT&T TV NOW channel lineup and the different packages available. Keep in mind that there are several different AT&T TV NOW plans, which are aimed at different types of subscribers.
We are currently looking at several different channel packages, making the AT&T TV NOW price range from $50 to $135 a month. As you can tell, that’s quite a range!
Update mid-2019: AT&T TV NOW has majorly changed up their channel packages. They now have two new plans, “Plus” and “Max”, priced at $50 and $70/month, respectively. The old channel plans have been renamed and the prices have increased drastically. Many AT&T TV NOW reviews will now be out of date, as this is a major shift! Be sure to read carefully as a lot has changed.
The two new plans from AT&T TV NOW are Plus and Max:
- Plus ($50/month, 45+ channels) – Channels list includes HBO, local channels, HBO Family, HBO Latino, ABC (select areas), Accuweather, Audience, BET, Boomerang, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CBS (select areas), Cheddar, CNBC, CNBC World, CNN, Comedy Central, The CW (select areas), Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, FOX (select areas), FOX Business, FOX News, FS1, Freeform, FX, FXM, FXX, Hallmark Channel, HLN, MSNBC, MTV, My Network TV, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, NBC (select areas), NBCSN, Nickelodeon, NickJr, Ovation, Oxygen, Revolt, SyFy, TBS, TCM, Telemundo, TNT, TruTV, Universal Kids, USA, and VH1.
- Max ($70/month, 60+ channels) – Channels list includes HBO, Cinemax, local channels, HBO Family, HBO Latino, ABC (select areas), Accuweather, Audience, BET, Boomerang, Bravo, BTN, Cartoon Network, CBS (select areas), CBS Sports Network, Cheddar, CMT, CNBC, CNBC World, CNN, Comedy Central, The CW (select areas), Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, FOX (select areas), FOX Business, FOX News, FS1, FS2, Freeform, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf, Hallmark Channel, HLN, Longhorn Network, MSG, MSG+, MSNBC, MTV, My Network TV, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, NBC (select areas), NBCSN, Nickelodeon, NickJr, Olympic Channel, Ovation, Oxygen, Paramount Network, Revolt, SEC Network, SyFy, TBS, TCM, Telemundo, TNT, TruTV, TV Land, Universal Kids, USA, VH1 and YES Network.
The old plans (with new names) are available in the “other packages” menu, but prices are very high:
- Entertainment ($93/month, 65+ channels)- Channels list includes AT&T TV NOW local channels in select markets as well as A&E, ABC (select markets), AccuWeather, AMC, Animal Planet, Audience, AXS TV, Baby First, BBC America, BET, Bloomberg TV, Bravo, C-SPAN, C-SPAN 2, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, CBS (select markets) CMT, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, The CW (select markets), Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network, Fox (select areas), Fox Business, Fox News, Fox Sports 1, Freeform, FX, FXX, Galavision, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, History, HLN, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, MSNBC, MTV, MTV2, National Geographic, NBC (select areas), NBCSN, Nick Jr., Nickelodeon, One America News, Ovation, Paramount, Reelz Channel, RFD TV, Syfy, TBS, TCM, Teen Nick, Telemundo, TLC, TNT, truTV, TV Land, Univision, USA Network, Velocity HD, VH1, Viceland, and WE tv.
- Choice ($110/month, 85+ channels)- includes all channels in the Live a Little package (except Ovation and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, which are removed) plus regional sports networks in select markets, plus you getAWE, BTN, CNBC World, Comedy.TV, Cooking Channel, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Fuse, Fusion, GSN, IFC, JusticeCentral, MLB Network, NFL Network, Nicktoons, OWN, POP, Science, SEC Network, Sundance TV, Tennis Channel, Travel Channel, TV ONE, UniMas, UP and The Weather Channel.
- Xtra ($124/month; 105+ channels)- includes every channel listed in the lower packages along with American Heroes, Aspire, BBC World News, BET HER, CBS Sports Network, Destination America, Discovery Family, Discovery Life, DIY, FM, Fox Sports 2, FXM, FYI, Golf Channel, Lifetime Movie Network, LOGO, MTV Classic, Nat Geo Wild, NBA TV, NHL Network, Olympic Channel, Oxygen, Revolt, Sportsman Channel, TVG, Universal Kids, and NBC Universo.
- Ultimate ($135/month, 125+ channels)-Contains all channels in lower packages as well as Boomerang, El Rey, Starz Encore (8 channels), and Univision Deportes.
- Add HBO to any package for $15 per month, or Cinemax, Starz or Showtime for $11 a month each. These channels are included in some packages already.
- See our AT&T TV NOW channels list for full details
As you can see, the AT&T TV NOW channel lineup is very customizable depending on your needs and wants. Whether you want to watch NFL online or live stream The Walking Dead, there is a good mix of AT&T TV NOW plans, with one that should fit your needs.
Unfortunately, the prices are way higher than when the service started, and are higher than most competitors. AT&T TV NOW no longer offers the value it once did when it was called DIRECTV NOW.
Also, note that ALL of the AT&T TV NOW packages offer a free 7-day trial, so you can test any of them out for free. AND you can cancel at any time because it’s a non-contract service!
Can I Get AT&T TV NOW Local Channels?
Cord cutters who are aware of the current systems on the market definitely have questions about how to stream local channels. Most of AT&T TV NOW channels can be streamed nationwide, there are just a few on the AT&T TV NOW channels lineup that are only available in limited viewing areas.
- FOX – FOX is available live in select markets, now in most areas.
- FOX next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide
- NBC – NBC is available in select markets, now in most areas.
- NBC next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide
- ABC – ABC is available in select markets, now in most areas.
- ABC next-day, on-demand streaming is available nationwide.
- CBS – CBS is set to be available in select markets, now in most areas.
- The CW – CW is set to be available in select markets, mostly in bigger cities.
The AT&T TV NOW channels list doesn’t provide complete details about which cities where these networks are available, but you can always start out by checking out the network availability with AT&T TV NOW. You can verify what’s available in your area during the signup process.
How Much Does AT&T TV NOW Cost?
The pricing for the basic package with AT&T TV NOW starts at $50 per month, and ranges all the way up to $135 per month for the larger packages.
At $50/mo, the base package price is in line with – if not a bit higher – than most competitors like Hulu Live TV and YouTube TV. On the larger packages, the price is significantly higher.
You can also add premium channels for $11-$15 per month each.
AT&T TV NOW Devices
AT&T TV NOW is now quite established, and works on the majority of devices. AT&T TV NOW can be streamed on:
- Amazon Fire TV
- Apple TV
- Select Samsung smart TVs
- iOS devices (iPhone/iPad)
- Android devices (phones/tablets)
- Web browsers, including Chrome and Safari
In short, AT&T TV NOW works on all of the most popular devices. We expect the service will continually expand to new devices as it evolves.
Is There a AT&T TV NOW Free Trial?
Yes, there is! Now that you’ve read our complete AT&T TV NOW review, all that is left is to try it out for a FREE 7-day trial today!
And remember, since AT&T TV NOW is contract-free, you can take advantage of the AT&T TV NOW free trial and be free to cancel AT&T TV NOW at any time – no commitment required.
AT&T TV NOW Review: Bottom Line
Overall, AT&T TV NOW is a good alternative to cable. However, recent changes have made it quite pricey, so you’ll want to closely consider whether it makes sense for you.
Most third-party AT&T TV NOW reviews rate the service favorably. And it’s certainly a popular service, with over 1.5 million subscribers.
From a channel selection standpoint, AT&T TV NOW has a lot to offer – IF you’re willing to pay a lot for it. 125+ channels is pretty impressive, if you can stomach the price tag.
Price-wise, AT&T TV NOW is certainly not the cheapest. The Plus and Max packages offer decent value, particularly if you want HBO. But the other 4 plans have very high prices that likely aren’t worth it for most people. For some other options, check out our guide to the best streaming services overall.
In the end, we certainly think that AT&T TV NOW is worth a try. Click here to try it FREE for 7 days!