It’s 2017, and the total domination of cable companies over the TV industry is rapidly declining. These days, more and more people are seeking out alternatives to cable, such as online streaming services. And since people are ditching their cable boxes, there is a growing need for good streaming devices, like the Google Chromecast. A lot of people use their Chromecast to watch YouTube videos or stream Netflix, but many people often wonder how to stream live TV on Chromecast. There are actually a few different options for Chromecast live TV, which we’ll go over in this guide.
If you’re not familiar with the Chromecast, it’s a unique streaming device from Google. Basically, it plugs into your TV via an HDMI port, and allows you to stream videos and other content from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You essentially use your smartphone as a controller, and watch on your TV. So, if you’re watching from Netflix, you’d open up the Netflix app on your phone, select something to play, and then “cast” that content to your Chromecast.
Netflix is awesome, of course, but what about live TV on Chromecast? What about live sports, live TV shows, live news? If you’re wondering how to watch live TV on Chromecast, wonder no more – we’ve got you covered with the options below.
Chromecast Live TV Channel Bundles
To watch live TV on Chromecast, the best way to go about things is to subscribe to a streaming service that provides a bundle of TV channels. These services essentially function like cable, giving you anywhere from 30 to 100+ channels that you can watch live. They’re much cheaper than cable, though, and don’t require long-term contracts. These services are ideal because they let you watch live TV on Chromecast from a wide variety of channels, all through one app – so no need to switch back and forth between different apps. Take a look below at some of our top recommendations.
For those living outside of the United States, view international options here.
Sling TV – The Best Way to Watch Live TV on Chromecast
If you had to choose just one service to get you up and running and enjoying live TV on your Chromecast, we’d recommend Sling TV. This service is a highly affordable, highly versatile and easy to use service that gives you over 30 top quality TV channels to watch live. It works on Chromecast, and on most other devices as well. Here are the highlights of Sling TV:
- Works over the internet – no cable required
- Works flawlessly on Chromecast
- Provides 30+ channels for $20 per month
- Up to 100+ channels available
- Free 7-day trial available
- NO contract required
- Enjoy channels like TNT, ESPN, AMC, CNN, Food Network, Comedy Central, and more
- Watch all these channels LIVE, plus select content on-demand
- Also works on mobile devices, computers, streaming devices, smart TVs and more
- Add on premium channels like HBO from $15/month extra
- The most affordable way to watch live TV on Chromecast
For full details, check out our Sling TV review. Or, if you prefer, explore the service for yourself with a free 7 day trial of Sling TV. This will let you watch live TV on Chromecast free for a full week, and give you a good chance to see if you want to keep the service.
DIRECTV NOW – Premium Channel Bundles (Android Only)
For those looking for more channel selection, DIRECTV NOW is a great choice. It’s similar to Sling TV in that it gives you a wide range of channels to watch live, and it works on Chromecast. However, it’s important to note that currently, DIRECTV NOW only supports Chromecast casting when used on an Android device. Some highlights of DIRECTV NOW include:
- Works over the internet
- Works well on Chromecast (Android devices only)
- Provides 60+ channels for $35 per month
- Up to 120+ channels available in larger packages
- Free 7-day trial available
- NO contract or commitment required
- Enjoy channels like ESPN, Cartoon Network, USA, HGTV, AMC, CNN, FX and many more
- See the full DIRECTV NOW channels list for details
- Watch these channels LIVE
- Works on mobile devices, computers, Chromecast, and other streaming devices
- Add premium channels like HBO for only $5 per month extra
PlayStation Vue – Another Way to Watch Live TV on Chromecast
PlayStation Vue is another service that is similar to the two we’ve already discussed. It provides live streaming of several great channels, and is offered at a reasonable $30 per month. It’s a solid Chromecast live TV option, but definitely not the best value.
The basic package of Vue has 45+ channels, and costs $30 per month. This puts it in the middle ground between Sling TV and DIRECTV NOW, price-wise. However, due to the specific channel selection and some other downsides with Vue, we always recommend DIRECTV NOW and Sling TV as better overall choices.
With that said, PlayStation Vue (review here) works fine on Chromecast, and provides another way to stream live TV on Chromecast and some other devices. There are just better services out there, though.
Chromecast Live Sports Streaming Services
For sports fans, the best option is probably Sling TV, as it provides ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, NBCSN, Fox Sports Regional networks, and more. However, for those that want to watch live sports on Chromecast through a dedicated sports service, or who just want the most sports coverage possible, the following options present good value.
Fubo TV – The Best Way to Watch Sports on Chromecast
fuboTV is an online streaming service that’s mostly designed for sports fans. It offers live streaming of many popular sports channels, as well as general-purpose channels. Here are some highlights of the service:
- Works over the internet
- Works well on Chromecast
- Offers 40+ channels for $35 per month
- No contract required
- Key channels include FS1, FS2, Comcast Regional SportsNet, NBCSN, NBA TV, BeIN Sports, and more
- You can add on additional channels for more selection
- Also works on mobile devices, computer, and other streaming devices
- See more in our FuboTV review
League Sports Packages – Best for Specific Sports
If you’re a general sports fan, something like Sling TV or fuboTV is best. But if you’re an NBA fan, a NHL maniac, or a MLB nut, then you may want to consider a service designed specifically for that sport. There’s NBA League Pass, NHL.TV, and MLB.TV, all of which have Chromecast support. You can subscribe to these services to get on-demand and live access to select games and coverage, although local teams are generally blacked out. Availability and prices vary, so check out the relevant service if you’re interested.
Chromecast Premium Channel Options
If “normal” TV isn’t enough for you, and you like to follow along with the latest episode of Westworld or Game of Thrones, you may want to consider a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. Most premium channels offer Chromecast support, which is great news!
HBO Now – HBO on Chromecast without Cable
HBO NOW is HBO’s official app, and it lets you watch HBO content without a cable subscription. It works flawlessly on Chromecast, and gives you access to that epic HBO content that you know and crave.
Technically, HBO Now does not offer live streaming, but in reality, it essentially does. When a new episode airs on cable, it’s available to start streaming on-demand simultaneously. So, it’s like it’s live, but better; because you can watch on your schedule, and if you’re at the TV when the show begins, you can begin watching right away. Plus, all of HBO’s previous content is available on-demand to catch up on. Check out our HBO NOW review for more info.
Note that if you have HBO through a cable provider, you’ll want to use HBO Go, a similar app.
Showtime App – Showtime on Chromecast without Cable
Showtime might not be as famous as HBO, but they nonetheless produce some very good content. If you like Showtime, you can subscribe to it as a standalone service (without cable) for $10.99 per month. Showtime supports Chromecast, so you can watch on your Chromecast via your phone or computer.
How to Watch Live TV on Chromecast: Bottom Line
That’s a lot of information to digest, we get it… If you’re looking for the simplest, most affordable and most direct way to stream live TV on Chromecast, we recommend the following:
- Sign up for a free 7-day trial of Sling TV
- You’ll get 30-100+ channels, depending on which package you choose
- Download the Sling TV app
- Choose what to watch, and cast to your Chromecast
- If you haven’t set up your Chromecast yet, here’s how
- Next, decide if Sling TV’s selection is adequate, or if you want to add-on additional services
- Check back to this guide later, as new apps are adding Chromecast support regularly. Google has sold 30 million of these things, so trust that there will be some exciting developments soon!
- Enjoy streaming live TV on Chromecast!
Disclosure: Streaming Observer is supported by readers. Articles may contain referral links. For more information, see the disclosure at the bottom of the page.
Latest posts by Austin Meadows (see all)
- Philo Channels List 2018: What Channels are on Philo? - September 14, 2018
- Hulu Live TV Channel List 2018: What Channels Are On Hulu with Live TV? - September 14, 2018
- PlayStation Vue Channels List: Guide to All the PS Vue Channels - September 7, 2018