The way people get their entertainment is changing rapidly. Services like Netflix and the original Hulu changed the game by providing on-demand streaming at the click of a button. Now, new services like Sling TV and Hulu Live TV are providing live TV streaming without a cable subscription. Today, we’ll do a full Hulu Live TV review to help our readers understand this new service.
Keep in mind that Hulu Live TV is different from the original Hulu, which was on-demand only. The new Hulu with Live TV is, as the name suggests, a way to watch LIVE television. Thus, many existing Hulu reviews are out of date if they refer only to the on-demand version. Let’s get into the review, starting with the basics!
What is Hulu Live TV?
Hulu with Live TV is a cable TV alternative that offers an easy and affordable way to watch LIVE TV over the internet. You can use it to stream live content from 60+ channels, just like if you had cable. Here are the basics:
- Hulu Live TV is an internet streaming service
- No cable or satellite required
- Use it to watch LIVE television on 60+ channels
- Enjoy channels like ESPN, TNT, FOX News, HGTV and many more
- Pay just $45 per month
- NO contract – cancel any time
- Use Hulu Live TV on all your devices – computers, smartphones, Roku, Apple TV and more
- Watch live TV from anywhere with an internet connection
- You’ll also get access to a huge on-demand library
- Free 7 day trial available
Hulu does not require cable or satellite, but instead takes the place of those more expensive options. All you need is a solid internet connection and a Hulu subscription, as well as a device to use.
In many ways, Hulu Live TV is similar to cable – except it’s a lot cheaper! You’ll get live access to many popular TV networks, all of which you can watch live, as they air. But instead of paying a fortune, you’ll pay just $45 a month. Plus, you can cancel any time, thanks to the no-contract nature of Hulu!
Hulu Live TV Features
What is Hulu Live TV offering in terms of features? Hulu brings a lot to the table, including:
- No Cable Required – you won’t need cable TV to enjoy Hulu, which is a huge plus for folks wanting to save money. While cable can easily run you $100+ a month, Hulu is just $45 per month.
- 60+ Live TV Channels – Enjoy many of the most popular networks on TV, including Animal Planet, NBC, FOX, FOX News, ESPN, HGTV and many more – all without cable!
- Full HD Streaming – Get live TV streaming in crystal clear 1080p, so long as you have a good internet connection. Hulu even offers 4k streaming for some of their on-demand content, but not yet on live TV.
- Cloud DVR – Record LIVE TV for free with Hulu’s built-in cloud DVR. Never miss a moment with the ability to record your shows, sporting events and more – free storage up to 50 hours!
- Huge On-Demand Library – Hulu subscribers have access to the Hulu library of both critically acclaimed TV shows and movies. There are many popular series that are offered in full by Hulu, meaning all the seasons are available to watch on-demand. New content is added daily, so there’s no shortage of stuff to watch!
- Hulu Originals – like competitors Netflix and Amazon Instant Video, Hulu has begun to produce their own original shows. This includes the Emmy award-winning The Handmaid’s Tale and many others. A recent Hulu original starring James Franco, 11.22.63, chronicles the life of a time traveler tasked with preventing JFK’s assassination.
- Flexibility – Hulu allows you to stream shows through your TV, phones, tablets, gaming consoles, media players, and your PC, so you need never miss a show again. Unlike cable, which requires you to be at home to watch, you can use Hulu from wherever you go.
- Premium channel add-ons – You can actually add some premium channels, like Showtime and HBO, to your Hulu subscription for more premium content. Showtime costs $8.99 a month extra through Hulu, while HBO is $14.99 per month (on top of the standard Hulu cost).
- Multiple Devices – With Hulu, you can watch on multiple devices at the same time. With a standard plan, two devices can watch simultaneously (streaming different channels). You can also upgrade to unlimited devices for an additional fee.
- Free 7-day trial – for new users, the first 7 days are free, giving you the chance to explore the service before you spend a dime. And remember, since Hulu is non-contract, it’s really easy to cancel your subscription if you don’t want to keep it.
Hulu Device Compatibility
There are many Hulu devices that you can use to watch your favorite shows via this service. Some of the more popular options include:
- Streaming devices like Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Nexus Player, Chromecast, etc.
- Gaming consoles, like the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- Computers and laptops (both Mac and PC)
- Mobile devices, like iOS and Android
- Smart TVs from Samsung and LG
Long story short, the vast majority of devices that are capable of streaming video are capable of streaming Hulu.
Hulu Live TV Channels List
Hulu offers one base package (described below) and a couple of add-on options. Here is full channel list.
Hulu Live channel list includes: 60+ channels for $45 per month. 7-day free trial available.
In select areas: ABC, ABC News Live, CBS, FOX, NBC, The CW, and regional sports networks from NBC and FOX.
Available nationwide: A&E, Animal Planet, Big Ten Network, Boomerang, Bravo, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, CBS Sports Network, Cheddar, CNBC, CNN, CNN International, CoziTV, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN College Extra, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line, Food Network, Fox Business, Fox News, Fox Sports 1, FOX Sports 2, Freeform, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf, HGTV, History, HLN, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime, MSNBC, Motortrend, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, NBCSN, Olympic Channel, Oxygen, POP, SEC Network, Smithsonian Channel, Syfy, TBS, TCM, Telemundo, TLC, TNT, Travel Channel, truTV, Universal Kids, USA Network, and Viceland
You can also add select expansion packs, described below:
Español Add-On – $5/month. Adds CNN en Español, Discovery en Español, Discovery Familia, ESPN Deportes, History Channel en Español, and NBC Universo.
Lastly, you can add premium channels:
HBO – $14.99/mo
Cinemax – $9.99/mo
SHOWTIME – $10.99/mo
STARZ – $8.99/mo
For the full scoop, check out our Hulu Live TV channels list.
How Much Does Hulu Live TV Cost?
The Hulu Live TV price is broken down as follows:
Base package – $45/month – includes 60+ live channels and the on-demand library
Expansion packs and premium channels – $5-$15/month, detailed above.
Enhanced Cloud DVR – $14.99 per month – expands DVR storage from 50 hours to 200 hours.
Unlimited Screens – $14.99 per month – expands simultaneous streams from 2 to unlimited (and 3 while on-the-go).
So basically, the Hulu cost is $45/mo for the basic package, which will be sufficient for most people. If you choose to add extra channels or features, the price can get higher quickly.
Is There a Hulu Free Trial?
Yes, there is! New subscribers get the first 7 days for free, which is a great opportunity to explore the service and check things out. It’s easy to sign up, and easy to cancel if you end up not wanting to keep it. Click here to start a free 7 day trial.
Is There a Hulu Gift Card?
If you’re wondering about the possibility of giving a Hulu subscription as a gift, you can do that with a Hulu gift card. They are available for purchase in retailers like Walmart, Best Buy and Target, and from online retailers like Amazon and iTunes.
What About the Original Hulu Service?
Hulu with Live TV is the latest and most exciting part of Hulu’s offering, but it’s not the only part. This Hulu Live TV review focused on the live version – but what about the original on-demand only version of Hulu?
The on-demand version is still available as a standalone product. It costs $5.99 per month (the price dropped recently, from $7.99) for the plan with commercials, or $11.99 a month for the plan with no commercials. This on-demand version of Hulu offers tons of on-demand streaming. There is no live TV with this product, however.
If you subscribe to Hulu Live TV, you will get the live version AND the on-demand version!
Hulu Live TV Review: Bottom Line
So, is Hulu worth the money? We think so!
We’re certainly not alone in thinking this, either, as Hulu Live TV now boasts over 2 million subscribers!
The service offers the best of both worlds: live TV for sports, news, and the latest TV show episodes, plus a massive on-demand library for binge-watching. At $45 per month, it offers a ton of value at a very fair price. And with no contract, there’s no need to commit long-term.
If you’re on the fence, there is a Hulu free trial. Sign up for the free 7-day trial that you can use to test out the service for yourself!
Want to Learn More About Hulu?
Thanks for reading our Hulu review. To learn more about Hulu and to get started, head over to their official website. If you have any questions about Hulu, their prices, or the services offered, ask, and we will try to help.