It’s an exciting time to be a cord-cutter. More and more services are now available for those looking to watch TV without a cable subscription. The last year has seen the launch of Apple TV+, Disney+, and several others. And now, NBC (owned by Comcast) has announced details of their upcoming service, named Peacock. Keep reading our NBC Peacock review to learn more!
What is NBC Peacock?
NBC Peacock is an upcoming streaming service from NBC/Comcast. It has not yet launched, but will likely be available for signups starting in April 2020. For now, NBC has released some basic information about the service, which we can use to get a glimpse into what the service will be like.
Essentially, NBC Peacock will be an on-demand online streaming service. It will offer subscribers an easy way to watch classic and new TV shows, movies, documentaries and more – without a cable subscription. Peacock is NBC’s answer to the growing field of online streaming services, such as Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+ and the upcoming HBO Max.
We don’t have the full details of this service, but we have enough to put together a preliminary review to let you know more about NBC’s streaming service.
NBC Peacock Review: At a Glance
NBC Peacock will not launch until Spring 2020. However, here’s what we know so far about the upcoming NBC streaming service:
- The NBC Peacock price has not been announced, but we expect there to be a free (ad-supported) version as well as a paid version
- Peacock will launch with around 15,000 hours of on-demand content
- Its library consists mostly of classic shows from NBC, including The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and much more
- It will also include lots of movies, including the Bourne series, Fast and Furious, Despicable Me, Meet the Parents and many more
- The service will be primarily on-demand
- There will be no contract or commitment
- It will work on most devices, including streaming players and mobile devices
- It is slated to launch in April 2020 (although this could change)
As details emerge, this NBC Peacock review will be updated accordingly. Be sure to check back later to learn more! At this point, it’s hard to provide a verdict on whether or not this service will be worth it, as we don’t know a lot of the key details (such as pricing).
NBC Peacock Shows, Movies & Original Content
What shows are on NBC Peacock? Again, we don’t have a full list yet, but NBC has announced some of what they plan to offer. The service should launch with around 15,000 hours of on-demand content, including shows such as:
- 30 Rock
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Battlestar Galactica
- Parks and Rec
- Covert Affairs
- Downton Abbey
- Everyone Loves Raymond
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- King of Queens
- Saturday Night Live
- Much more
Also, NBC is pushing the fact that NBC Peacock will be the exclusive home of The Office, one of the most popular shows of all time. However, The Office will not come to NBC Peacock until January 2021. Until then, the show will be on Netflix.
In addition to the shows on NBC Peacock, the service will also include many movies:
- The Bourne series
- The Despicable Me series
- The Meet the Parents series
- The Fast and Furious series
- American Pie
- Mamma Mia!
- The Breakfast Club
- Knocked Up
- Field of Dreams
- and many more!
For Spanish speakers, NBC Peacock is slated to contain around 3,000 hours of Spanish-language content from Telemundo, as well!
NBC Peacock Originals & Exclusive Content
NBC Peacock will offer several Originals and shows that will be exclusive to the platform. Here’s a few that have been announced so far:
- Reboots of popular shows including Battlestar Galactica, Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster
- Original shows exclusive to Peacock, including Dr. Death, Brave New World, Rutherford Falls, Straight Talk and more
- At least two talk shows, including one starring Jimmy Fallon (of The Tonight Show) and one starring Amber Ruffin (of Late Night with Seth Meyers)
- Original films and series from Dreamworks and Universal Pictures
As details continue to emerge, it will be exciting to see the full list of shows on the NBC streaming service. Stay tuned!
NBC Peacock Price & Value
How much does NBC Peacock cost? Unfortunately, NBC has not yet announced the price point for NBC Peacock – so we simply don’t know.
However, sources familiar with the matter believe that NBC may offer the service for free, and simply include advertisements in the programming. We don’t yet know if NBC Peacock will be free or paid, but even if it is free, we expect that there will be a paid version available as well (that will hopefully be ad-free). This post will be updated with the NBC Peacock price once the service launches.
NBC Peacock Launch Date
NBC has not released a firm launch date for this upcoming service. However, the service is slated to launch sometime in April, 2020.
Because of the lack of information on the service (including the price point), it’s difficult to put together a full NBC Peacock review at this point. However, from what we can see, the service will likely offer a lot of value for TV fans. There are lots of very popular shows making their way to the service, and we have high hopes for some of the original content, as well.
Until we know more details, it’s tough to say if NBC Peacock is worth it. What do YOU think of the upcoming NBC streaming service? Let us know in the comments!