PlayStation Vue plans to be one of the best ways to view live TV without cable. There are multiple streaming services available to those who wish to cut the cord from cable, but only a few that offer live-TV streaming. The PlayStation Vue channel package is excellent and will allow you to keep up with live sports, the hottest TV shows, and more. Read on for our full PlayStation Vue review.
What Is PlayStation Vue?
PlayStation Vue was created by Sony just short of a year ago with the intention of giving folks who want to cut cable a great alternative. It is a live streaming service with several channel packages to choose from. There are different PlayStation Vue channel lineups available, with packages ranging from 45+ channels to 90+ and $30 a month to $65 a month, respectively.
PlayStation Vue, or PS Vue for short, is a service that requires no cable, and no long-term contract. You may cancel your subscription at any time you wish. Read on to see our full PlayStation Vue review.
What Are the Main PlayStation Vue Features?
With PlayStation Vue, Sony hopes to bring people the ability to watch top cable channels live, without expensive cable service. Here are some key features of PlayStationVue:
- Live Streaming of Popular TV Channels – The PlayStation Vue channels list lets you watch many of your favorite shows LIVE. You will have access to over 50 channels to stream live, just as if you had cable TV.
- No Contract Required – Unlike cable TV, which locks you in to 12 months or more, Vue is offered month to month with no long term contract.
- On-Demand Content – Up to three days of primetime, popular shows are stored on Vue’s on-demand library, so if you miss a show you may be able to catch up by watching on-demand.
- Cloud DVR – My Shows is a kind of DVR feature that is unique to PlayStation Vue. You can tag your favorite TV shows on PlayStation Vue, and episodes will be automatically recorded and stored for up to a month. This is essentially the PlayStation Vue DVR you may have heard of, although it functions slightly differently than a traditional DVR.
- Timeline – With Timeline, you can quickly look at the last 8 shows you watched, and see when those shows next air live. This gives you an easy way to stay in the loop and not miss any of your favorite shows.
You can check the PlayStation Vue FAQ’s for more information on these features.
Remember, you can try PlayStation Vue free for 7 days.
Which Of My Devices Can Be Used with PlayStation Vue?
Originally, PlayStation Vue was exclusively available only through your PlayStation gaming systems. Sony then made it possible for other devices to be used, and now you can access PlayStation Vue on your TV with several streaming devices, such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and Google Chromecast. Recently, Sony also announced that they have added Android support. iOS devices are also supported, although mobile viewing is restricted, so you’ll have to watch at home. There are also some PlayStation Vue DVR restrictions on mobile devices.
PlayStationVue is a relatively new service. At this time it’s not compatible with as many devices as some competing services, but new devices are added on a regular basis. We will keep our PlayStation Vue review updated as new developments are announced.
What Is the PlayStation Vue Channels List?
There are several PlayStation Vue plans available. Depending on your needs, you can customize the PlayStation Vue channels you wish to subscribe to by picking one of the 4 main packages, and customize further by adding one of its add-on packages. Here are the current PlayStation Vue channels. Also, please note that PS Vue recently cut out all Viacom-owned channels, which means channels like Comedy Central, MTV, etc. are no longer available via Vue. On the upside, there is a PlayStation Vue free trial available for all of these packages.
Please Note: The majority of channels in PlayStation Vue plans are available nationwide for live streaming. However, PlayStation Vue local channels like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX are live in select markets and on-demand only in others.
Access Slim Plan for $29.99 per month
Core Slim Plan for $34.99 per month
The Core channel plan allows all of the above network and more, PLUS the ability to add local sports channels to the mix. There are 60+ channels and for the $35 monthly rate, with some key additions including NBA TV, NFL Network, ESPNu, ESPNEWs, Golf Channel, and more. The Core package can be the answer for those who wish to enjoy sports, as well as TV shows and movies.
Elite Slim Plan for $44.99 per month
For those who crave the most channel selection possible, Vue’s Elite package offers 90+ great channels! It even includes some of Vue’s add-on channels, like Machinima and Epix Hits. And at $45 a month, it’s still cheaper than a basic cable subscription…
Ultra Slim Plan for $64.99 per month
The Ultra Slim Plan, priced at $65 per month, adds HBO and Showtime premium channels to the existing 90+ channel package. This is the highest PlayStation Vue price, but also the best selection of channels including premium channels. It’s the complete PlayStation Vue channels list (minus a couple of the standalones).
Standalone Channels – Sony has a few packages of standalone’s which you can subscribe to either as an add-on to an existing package, or on their own. These are available nationwide. There are also further discounts for PlayStation Plus subscribers.
- FOX SoccerPlus ($14.99 per month) FOX SoccerPlus covers soccer and rugby from around the world. FOX maintains the broadcasting rights for leagues all around such as UEFA Champion League, and UEFA Europa League. The standalone package can be a very helpful package for anyone seeking to get rid of cable, but remain up to date on soccer and rugby.
- SHOWTIME ($10.99 per month) For a more premium experience, choose this package to add SHOWTIME’s original programming. For an extra $3 per month, you can add EPIX for even more premium content.
- HBO ($14.99 per month) HBO, largely considered to be the best premium channel out there, is no available via PlayStation Vue for an additional $15 per month. This is essentially a subscription to HBO NOW, which means you’ll get the entire HBO library to watch on-demand.
- Machinima ($3.99 per month) Machinima is the headquarters for all things gaming. This channel has original series, streams high-quality gameplay action, news, and podcasts.
- Espanol Pack ($4.99 per month) For Spanish speakers, this package adds 9 great Spanish-language channels, including CNN, Discovery in Espanol, Fox Deportes, NBC Universo and more.
What Is the PlayStation Vue Cost?
As you can see, PlayStation Vue has many packages and differing pricing options for you choose from, with prices ranging from $30 to $65 a month. For as little as $29.99 per month you can have access to many channels. Other streaming services offer slightly less expensive prices, but offer fewer channels and options as well.
PlayStation Vue is a great, affordable option for many people. It is less expensive than cable, but offers a huge selection of channels you can view at home. And you can view all of these channels and sports with no contract, free to cancel your subscription at any time. That is a bonus!
Is There a PlayStation Vue Free Trial?
Yes, PS Vue currently offers a free 7-day trial. If you’ve been wanting to try Sony Vue but don’t know if you’ll like it, this is a good way to start things off.
Is There a PlayStation Vue Gift Card?
If you’re curious about giving the gift of PlayStationVue, it’s good to know that there is not currently a PlayStation Vue gift card. PlayStation Wallet funds should work, and therefore PlayStation Network gift cards can be used. However, this may create some unnecessary confusion, particularly for those not familiar with PlayStation products. It’s best to just subscribe directly from the website.
PlayStation Vue Review: How Does It Compare?
First off, Vue is definitely the most expensive of the bunch. Hulu starts at less than $10 a month, while Sling TV is $20 a month. Amazon Prime Instant Video is $99 a year (less than $10 a month), and Netflix is $10 a month or less. So, with the Vue price starting at $30, it’s the most expensive by far.
With that being said, Vue also offers the most in terms of channel selection. No other service really competes with the 45+ channel basic package, let alone the 90+ Elite package. Sling TV does offer up to 100 channels through all their various add-on packs, but their basic package is only 30+ channels.
Services like Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are great for on-demand viewing. When it comes to live TV, Vue and Sling TV are really the only two options. Right now, Sling TV is a better option for most, but Vue is certainly a contender.
As for device compatibility, Vue is lacking a bit. While the more established services are compatible with pretty much every device, Vue is only working on a handful. Vue also does not support mobile viewing, which is a notable downside.
Keep in mind that PlayStationVue is fairly new, with only around 100,000 subscribers at the time of this posting. Compare that to the more than 30 million people who subscribe to Netflix, and you can easily see that Vue is a relatively tiny operation in comparison.
We expect Sony to continue to flush out the features of Vue. Keep your eye on the Vue Blog for further updates.
PlayStation Vue Review: The Bottom Line
Overall, Vue is a great service that offers a lot of value. Compared to cable… well, there’s no comparison. Compared to competing streaming services, like Sling TV, Vue still has some catching up to do. But, overall we’re excited about the service and would encourage you to try it out. Head over to the official website to learn more.
Latest posts by Eric Anthony (see all)
- WWE SmackDown Live Stream: How to Watch SmackDown Online February 28th - February 28, 2017
- WWE Monday Night Raw Live Stream: Watch WWE Online February 27th - February 27, 2017
- PlayStation Vue Review: Channels List, Packages, Cost, Key Features - February 21, 2017